Dr. Kalyan c. Kankanala
Intellectual Property Attorney
2014 - Present
Dr. Kalyan Kankanala specializes in helping clients:
- Has hands on experience in IP services ranging from patent/trademark filings and prosecution to licensing and dispute resolution for a wide array of clients;
- Worked with Fortune 500 technology/knowledge driven businesses, premier research/educational institutions, SMEs, and also start-ups on a wide range of IP projects;
- Was instrumental in helping many companies move up the IP value chain through IP Audits, Strategic Consulting, Policy/Process Set up, and tailor made IP programs;
- Helped UN organizations develop and implement IP initiatives in Machine Tools, Foundry, and Plastics sectors;
- Contributed to IP legislative/policy making initiatives in India;
- Developed and imparted capacity building/skill building programs for more than twenty thousand corporates;
2004 - 2014
Brain league IP Services Pvt Ltd
2004 - Present
About Dr. Kalyan
Dr. Kalyan C. Kankanala is a renowned IP Attorney, Professor and Author from Bangalore, India. Over the years, he has advised and helped many knowledge, technology and creativity driven companies achieve business success from their Intellectual Property Assets. From building revenue generating IP portfolios and creating IP based market share to generating licensing revenues and increasing financial valuation of IP assets, Dr. Kalyan has successfully helped many organisations build substantial value from their Intellectual Property.
Dr. Kalyan’s day to day work as an IP Attorney, consultant and advisor helps him understand IP and business dynamics of organisations at both macro and micro levels. His research, scholarship and teaching at premier educational institutes such as IIMB and NLSIU help him gain invaluable, futuristic insights into progress of law, policy and business. Dr. Kalyan’s writing endeavours provide him the intellectual latitude to think creatively, experiment with novel ideas, and develop innovative IP models.
Over the years, Dr. Kalyan has worked with more than six hundred (600) companies in different sectors. Many of Dr. Kalyan’s clients have made significant IP progress, and are among the IP leaders in their areas of business. Some of his clients include United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO), IIMB, Samsung, LG, Bosch, Yash Raj Films, IIT, Madras, IIT, Bombay, BHEL, PEPS Industries, Mahindra and Mahindra, Crompton Greaves, Astra Zeneca, Muniyal Ayurveda, BrandMonk, Dharma Productions and DailyHunt.
Dr. Kalyan is a registered patent and trade mark attorney. He is a visiting faculty at NLSIU, IIMB and IIMS. Dr. Kalyan also holds positions with the Centre of Excellence in IP and Standards, Cane Foundation, and Journals of IPR and Entertainment Law.
Dr. Kalyan is an accomplished author and novelist. Indian Patent Law, Fun IP, and Epidemic are some of his popular books.
2003 - 2006
National Law School of India University
PhD, Patent Law
2002 - 2003
UNH Franklin Pierce School of Law
LLM, Intellectual Property
1996 - 2001
- Maximize business and financial value from intellectual property;
- Identify, discover and mine potential intellectual property in an organisation;
- Build IP portfolios for business and competitive advantage;
- Devise IP strategy, draft IP policy/process and implement IP best practices for business benefit;
- Effectively Protect, Manage, and Commercialize intellectual assets;
- Enable licensing, franchising, and/or merchandizing programs to monetize IP;
- Manage litigation for business benefit and forge strategic alliances and partnerships; and
- Develop and implement programs to help companies generate business driven intellectual property from their employees.
Books & Novels
This book is a practical and comprehensive reference work on Indian patent law. It covers various facets of Indian patent law ranging from acquiring a patent to enforcing and managing patent portfolios. Each chapter provides insights into theory before elaborating on practical issues. The volume blends technology, management, and law to give an insight into patent concepts. Supplemented by analyses of relevant cases and illustrations, the work delves into patent aspects relating to chemistry, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, software, electronics, and manufacturing.
Fun IP makes intellectual property learning fun, and enjoyable. Along with fundamentals of patents, copyrights, trade marks, trade secrets, and industrial designs, among others, the book throws light on emerging trends, and burning issues in the field. Targeted at students, beginners, and non-lawyers, FUN IP is filled with interesting examples and case studies. The book has received flattering reviews, and is highly rated among its peers.